Last updated on October 22nd, 2022 at 05:29 pm
After a wash cycle, dealing with a pool of lingering water at the bottom of the dishwasher can be very frustrating—the water points to only one thing: a drainage problem.
Several things can cause drainage problems. One of them is a blocked drain hose. A damaged pump belt or defective drain pump can also cause drainage problems.
But you can force the drain cycle on your Frigidaire dishwasher. Once you force the drain cycle, you can restart a clean cycle.
While the cycle is ongoing, press the cancel button to cancel the ongoing wash cycle. Once you’ve canceled the cycle, the dishwasher will begin a drain cycle that will last ninety seconds. The drain cycle will clear out any water remaining in the dishwasher.
Having a problematic dishwasher can be time-consuming. In this article, I’ll outline how you can fix drainage issues and the best way to clean your Frigidaire dishwasher.
How to Put a Frigidaire Dishwasher on a force-Drain Cycle?
A Frigidaire dishwasher is supposed to drain water at least twice during a wash cycle. However, the water doesn’t sometimes drain, so the dishes won’t come out clean.
Sometimes, when you open your dishwasher after a cycle, you realize dirty water has pooled at the bottom of the dishwasher.
So, if you’re running a wash cycle and want to drain the water in the dishwasher, you can force a drain cycle while the wash cycle is ongoing.
- Press the cancel button to cancel the ongoing wash cycle.
- After you’ve pressed cancel, the dishwasher will begin a drain cycle lasting for 90 seconds.
- The force drain cycle will automatically clean out any water left in the dishwasher.
So, if there has been water pooling at the bottom of the dishwasher, you can run a force drain cycle to get rid of the water.
Additionally, if your dishwasher won’t drain after many attempts, you can remove all the blockages and debris on the drain hose, filter, and pump.
Also, check the garbage disposal for clogs as well. Once you remove the debris and dirt blocking the way, the dishwasher can drain more efficiently.
Why is My Frigidaire Dishwasher Not Draining?
Frigidaire dishwasher not draining is a very common complaint among appliance owners. Several things could cause a Frigidaire dishwasher not to drain.
So if your dishwasher isn’t draining, don’t call the handyman just yet. You can check the possible causes and fix the issue yourself.
#1. Blocked Drain Hose
A blocked drain hose is the most likely cause of your dishwasher malfunction. A lot of the time, when a Frigidaire dishwasher does not drain, it’s because of the clogged drain hose.
Food particles, labels, wire ties, and other debris can block the drain hose with time and usage. When that happens, the water does not have an open passage to flow.
#2. Damaged Drain Pump
A defective drain pump can also cause the dishwasher to malfunction. Although this does not happen often, don’t rule it out completely.
If a foreign object clogs the pump, the drain pump won’t work. If the pump is blocked, you will hear a humming noise from the dishwasher motor.
You’ll have to remove the object before you continue to use the dishwasher, as it can damage the dishwasher.
#3. Blocked Garbage Disposal
A blocked Garbage disposal can also make your dishwasher not drain. Often, the garbage disposal is blocked because the knockout drain is left in the garbage disposal drain tube.
Also, if there is a lot of debris in the garbage disposal, it could cause a drainage issue. Garbage disposals often cause clogs because a lot of food and other particles end up there.
Even if some particles go down the drain, they don’t always clean through the garbage disposal. So, check the garbage disposal for debris as well.
#4. Defective Solenoid Valve
Although not all Frigidaire dishwasher models have this feature, some do. The solenoid allows the dirty water to drain.
And if temperatures are too high or too low, the solenoid valve will remain closed, and the dishwasher will not drain.
#5. Clogged Drain Filter
The filter is usually at the bottom of the machine. And it can become clogged from hair, food particles, and other debris.
So, that is one more place to look if your dishwasher is not draining. The particles can block the drain and keep the water out of the dishwasher.
How to Fix Frigidaire Dishwasher That Isn’t Draining?
Once you detect the cause of your dishwasher malfunction, you can attempt to fix it.
Here’s how to do it:
#1. Unclog the Garbage Disposal
If the garbage disposal is blocked, you must unclog the garbage disposal to get your dishwasher working again. Turn the tap water on and run the garbage disposal for 10-15 seconds.
You can turn off the dishwasher or reset it if that doesn’t work. Then, run the dishwasher and the garbage disposal again.
#2. Check the Drain Hose
If your Frigidaire dishwasher does not drain, the drain hose is likely the culprit. If there are any faults in the drain hose, the water will collect and overflow the front panel.
Often, the food particles from the dishes clog the hose and make it near impossible for water to flow through. In that case, you’ll have to clear the drain hose so the water can flow through.
Here are ways to do this:
- The best way is to disconnect the sink drain pipe and the dishwasher.
- Disconnect the electricity to the dishwasher, and put a container to collect the water that will discharge from the dishwasher.
- Once you’ve disconnected the hose, put the end of the hose into a water container and run a cycle. That way, the blockage will blow out into the container.
- Also, if the hose is twisted or bent, you can straighten it manually.
#3. Check the Drain Pump
If you suspect the drain pump is causing drainage problems, you’ll have to remove it and clean it. Here’s how to do it:
- Usually, Frigidaire dishwashers have screws holding the dishwasher in place.
- First, remove the screws and pull out the wire connector. Also, gently pull the pump from the rubber gasket.
- Clean all the debris from the drain pump and remove any foreign objects.
- Also, check out the impeller. It may be responsible for the malfunction. Clean the impeller thoroughly.
#4. Unclog the Drain Filter
A clogged drain filter will make it difficult for your dishwasher to drain. The blockages will not allow the water to flow out of the drain.
So, check the drain filter if you’re dealing with a dishwasher that won’t drain. And you can clear any blockages in the filter.
- Remove the drain filter.
- Use a long narrow tool that will fit into the filter. An old toothbrush or thin piece of wood would work.
- Use the tool to remove all visible debris from the drain. When you’ve removed the debris, the water will flow again.
#5. Change the Solenoid Valve
If the solenoid valve on your dishwasher fails, you’ll have to fix another to get the appliance working again.
- The solenoid is usually on or near the drain pump motor. Remove the kick plate or the lower access panel to access the valve.
- All you have to do is remove the old valve and replace it with a new one.
Most of the drainage issues you can fix on your own. So, the issues and solutions will be outlined in the table below.
|Blocked drain hose||Unclog drain hose|
|Damaged drain pump||Replace drain pump|
|Blocked garbage disposal||Unclog garbage disposal|
|Defective solenoid valve||Replace solenoid valve|
How Do I Clean My Frigidaire Dishwasher That Won’t Drain?
Frigidaire dishwasher filters usually become clogged due to the large quantities of food particles it screens.
The filters screen the chunks, so they don’t clog the drain pump and the hose. But with time, the filter can become clogged, and as a result, the dishwasher will not drain.
If your dishwasher is not draining, you should start by cleaning out the dishwasher’s filter.
Here’s how to do it:
- Remove the bottom rack of the dishwasher.
- Press down the wash arm and rotate the filter handle simultaneously.
- Remove the dishwasher’s filter from the wash arm and remove the debris.
- You can remove the debris by rinsing the wash arm under running water until you’ve removed all the food particles.
- Put the spray arm and the filter back together and put them back in their place.
- Finally, press down on the spray handle and rotate the filter handle clockwise to lock it back in position.
#1. How Do You Manually Drain Water from a Dishwasher?
First, turn off the dishwasher. Use a towel to remove the stagnant water, clean the drain hose and check the dishwasher drain.
#2. How Do You Drain a Dishwasher During a Cycle?
You can either press the power button to drain the water or open the dishwasher door. If you open the door, the current cycle will stop and continue when the door closes.
#3. Why Does Dirty Water Pool at the Bottom of the Dishwasher?
The commonest cause is a broken drainage system. When food particles or other debris clog the drainage system, the dirty water cannot flow out, so it pools at the bottom of the dishwasher.
If pooled dirty water is in your Frigidaire dishwasher, you can force a drain cycle during the wash cycle. Press the cancel button during the wash cycle to begin the drain cycle.
The water will likely drain for 90 seconds, and then you can continue the wash cycle.