Electrical appliances, when wet and in power, can lead to a shock. However, when you use your microwave for cooking, you discover water and wonder how the water got in the microwave.
Since you didn’t pour water, it’s from condensation. So it should dry out and be safe to use.
You are still determining if this is the case and if you should use it like that since it’s just a little water. What will happen when it gets wet?
When your microwave gets wet, it is either because of accumulated condensation or lack of maintenance. Whatever the cause is, if you don’t allow it to dry before using it, it’s dangerous, not only to the microwave but to you. It can damage the microwave interior if the water spreads or a fire outbreak when you use it like that.
In this article, I’ll explain what happens when your microwave gets wet, what you can do, and how to dry it. I’ll then further explain if steam can damage your microwave.
By the end of this article, if your microwave gets wet, you will know what to do and if it’s safe for you to use it.
What Will Happen If a Microwave Gets Wet?
When your microwave gets wet, it can result in damage to the microwave and damage to you and your property.
Your microwave gets wet from accumulated condensation from cooking in it for a long time and when it lacks maintenance.
Typically, condensation happens in your microwave, but it drys out itself, but when it has accumulated and doesn’t, it is dangerous. Your microwave interior will get damaged.
The water in the microwave will peel the paint on it and result in the microwave rusting. Although this wouldn’t cause immediate problems, it reduces your appliance lifespan.
Once the water in the microwave gets into the electrical conductors, it will not carry an electric current and is dangerous for your microwave.
As the conductors become more oxidized, it tends to overheat and result in a fire outage. The fire, if not put out early, can damage your home.
Sometimes, you get mold inside a wet microwave. You can detect this if your microwave smells mildew or if you see green or black spots.
In addition, if your microwave gets wet due to lack of maintenance, it can lead to damage that requires the skills of a technician.
Lack of maintenance can be dirty vents causing the vents to be blocked. When that happens, the water in the microwave cannot dry, resulting in the microwave being wet.
Due to the blocked vents, air cannot enter the microwave, and it overheats when you continue to use it like that. The overheating will then damage the components in the microwave.
If the damage occurs in the magnetron, your microwave stops working, and you will need to repair it.
In essence, if your microwave is wet, it’s best to let it dry before you use it. It might not get damaged immediately, but if you continue using it like that, it can result in fatal damage.
What Do You Do If Your Microwave Gets Wet?
The first thing you do when you discover that your microwave is wet is to disconnect it from the power supply if it is connected. It would help if you did this to avoid electrical shock.
Although you might not get a shock, it’s better to avoid it. It depends on where the water is in your microwave before you can take action on it.
If the water is inside the microwave due to condensation, wait till it cools down and clean it with a paper towel or dry cloth.
It can be a problem when the condensation is outside the microwave and the water is between the glass layer on the microwave door.
When that happens, leave the microwave door open for about 15 minutes until the water dries.
However, contact a technician if the water remains after leaving your microwave door open.
You should also check if a blocked vent is why water accumulates quickly in your microwave.
If this is so, you should clean your microwave-blocked vents so they won’t get damaged.
Also, check if there are holes in your microwave that water passes through; if there are, seal them off.
Contact your manufacturer if your microwave components get damaged because it is wet; they might be able to help.
If your device is under warranty, you might get it fixed if the problem is minor. However, dry your microwave if wet and leave it till it dries before assessing if it works.
How Do I Dry a Wet Microwave?
No matter the cause of a wet microwave, you must dry it first to avoid damaging it.
There are several ways you can dry your wet microwave;
- Tilt it in all directions
- With a towel
- Use a hair dryer or fan
- Put the microwave in the sun.
- Place the microwave in a ventilated area.
Tilt It in All Directions
Depending on how wet your microwave is, tilting it in all directions can help reduce the water in it.
You should remove the microwave from where water spilled in or on it and tilt it in different directions. After that, leave it open for fresh air to dry it.
Depending on how much water spilled, you can leave it to dry for a few days. Then, tilt it again to see if it’s still wet.
Doing this should prolong your microwave lifespan. Even if it eventually damages it, it will give it extra time.
With a Towel
If the amount of water in your microwave is small, you can dry it with a paper towel or a towel. When using a towel, clean all the areas in your microwave to dry it properly.
Use a Hair Dryer or Fan
You can also use a hair dryer or a fan to dry your wet microwave. Before doing this, ensure your microwave isn’t connected to a power supply or on.
Unplug it totally, and use your hair dryer to gently dry the water (use the cool air settings).
You can also use the fan; place it near an opening of the microwave to dry the water properly.
If you can open your microwave and dismantle it a little, you should do that so it can dry faster. That way, you’re also sure that its components are dry.
Put the Microwave in the Sun
To dry your wet microwave, you can place it in the sun for the natural heat to dry out the water. Ensure that the sun isn’t scorching to avoid damaging your appliance.
Place the Microwave in a Ventilated Area
Place and open your microwave in a place with space and proper ventilation so air can seep in and dry the water.
Now you can dry your microwave yourself. However, even the most straightforward task can turn out otherwise.
The table below shows the pros and cons of drying your microwave yourself.
|You can prolong your microwave lifespan.||When using a hairdryer, you can damage a component in your microwave.|
|You prevent yourself and your properties from damage.||If you aren’t handy when opening your microwave, you might damage it.|
|If you don’t ensure you dry it well and use it like that, it leads to more damage.|
Is Steam Damaging to a Microwave?
It depends on the amount of steam. If the steam continues and is too much or continues for a long time, it can damage your microwave components.
If the steam from your microwave is standard, it will dissipate through the vents in the room. However, if it’s not, it can cause your microwave to stop working.
The steam in your microwave eventually turns to water once it cools down. So, if the water is much and it enters the internal component of the microwave, it can result in many things.
It can result in overheating, electrical shock, fire outbreaks, and damage to your food and microwave—so many options for what can happen.
When your microwave starts developing little faults, probably because of water, it can damage the microwave quickly.
To avoid these issues, constantly wipe off the steam after cooking with your microwave and maintain it properly.
If the steam isn’t too much, your microwave is at no risk of damage.
But, if the steam is too much and cools down, it enters the microwave without you cleaning it and can damage the microwave.